Bok Choi also known as Asian Greens are from the Brassica family of vegetable which also include Broccoli, Cabbage, Mustard etc. Our Bok Choi’s are much larger than those normally available in stores. The white stems are crisp and sweet and the greens have a mild, peppery flavour.
They are yet another nutritional powerhouse containing:
- Vitamins A, K, C and B6.
- Folate, Calcium, Manganese, Potassium, Magnesium and Iron.
- Assists in prevention and treatment of Cancer due as they contain glucosinolates which are sulfur-containing chemicals that when digested create other compounds such as indole, nitrile and sulforaphane which are proven to prevent and treat cancer. Yes there are other ways to treat cancer than chemotherapy.
- Low in Calories.
- Great for Heart Health, Bone Density, Eyesight, Skin and Hair Health and Boosting Immunity.
- Assists healthy pregnancy due to high levels of Folate
Here are some ideas to get more Bok Choi into your diet:
- Use in Stir Fry, Curry or Miso Soup
- Use in place of Broccoli when out of season. Bok Choi grows year round, Broccoli only grows in the cooler months in our climate
- Shred into Coleslaw
- Combine with Sugar Snap Peas or Green Beans as a low carb rice or noodle alternative
- Make your own ferments such as Kimchi